Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Home Base

An awesome thing happened to me yesterday.

I was approached by a colleague who wants me to participate in a public speaking gig next month. In this case, I'm going to be a featured panelist along with two other people in different, but complimentary careers. Each of us will provide a brief presentation on our chosen area of expertise, and then we will answer questions posed by the audience. Yep, it's a professional seminar, and I am going to be speaking, and this is exactly the sort of thing that I want to be doing in my next career. (Terrific opportunity!)

It's so interesting the way that life keeps pulling you downstream (if you let it). I've been telling people for more than a year that my next career - or better said, the next part of my career - would be writing and speaking. A few weeks ago, a friend invited me to a writing class, and this week I've been asked to speak. Shazam!

My future is coming to get me, and I am simultaneously excited and a bit intimidated. I am honored that I would be accepted into the ranks of speakers and writers without the benefit of a formal education, and I am thrilled to have the opportunity. I guess people want to hear what I have to say, because I've been there, I've lived it, I've done it, I've proven myself (I know what I am talking about).

I think about this new life, and then I think about Eve. We had a conversation recently, where she described what she was wanting for herself. She described a "home base", where she would feel welcome all the time, where she could recover her energy and then be ready to go out and tackle the world again. It's a good goal, a desirable goal. I smiled to myself when she was describing it, because in this case, she and I are looking for exactly the same thing. Explains a lot.

If I'm going to travel (to speak at seminars and events, and to consult with different companies here and abroad), I'd like to have the peace of mind that comes with having a "home base". A space that makes me feel relaxed and comfortable. People living inside that care about me, who are warm and active and happy, so that when I come back from my travels, it's to a living home, not to a cold empty room. (I like that picture.) This was the primary motivator for wanting to "settle down" sooner rather than later. I have this urge to build a nest.

I'm still moving forward with that plan. One way or another, I'm going to build a "home base" of my own. A place that nourishes me. My castle, my keep, my family, (hopefully, my queen?). It is all part of this dream that I am building, and I feel the future coming right around the corner. (Life happens so FAST !!)

I figure in 3-4 months, I need to have my current home in order and be ready for a dramatic change in my work routine (traveling to different cities, etc). I can't say why, but it just feels like that's going to be the timeframe. I trust my intuition. I accept the blessings that life has to offer. I'm ready to start my new adventure. (Yippie-ki-yaaay!)

No comments: