Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Independence Day

Day 99

July 4th - the anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence here in the U.S. of A. This is our biggest national holiday, a time to pause in the midst of summer and reflect on all of the wonderful freedoms that we rmjoy (and too often take for granted).

They call this "Independence Day". Being a man that loves language, I read a little deeper into the meaning of that phrase, and have turned it into a more "personal" holiday.

The thirst for independence runs deep in my veins. So - on this day, every year, I try to become do something that will make me more liberated and free than in the previous year. Sometimes I do this by challenging my fears (in fact, the first time that I celebrated my personal independence, I decided to go "bungee jumping" with my father, my brother, and my best friend. It was indeed, a very liberating experience, since I have always lived with a tremendous fear of heights).

Today, I declare my independence from one of my worst habits. Those of you who know me can bear witness to the fact that I am almost always late, no matter what the event, or how much time I have to get there. I'm not extremely late, just a bit late, but since it seems to happen all of the time, the people around me have come to expect it from me. Although I appreciate the fact that they are willing to accept this shortcoming in me, I don't like thinking that I have become predictable, and I don't like thinking that they have to make special accomodations just for me. Therefore, I have decided to make a change for the better. I am going to endeavor to be on time, for everything, to the best of my ability, from this day forward.

There it is - in writing - you now have proof (I have no excuse now).

Happy Independence Day, everyone!

 

No comments: